1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Thanks for Visiting

Shadows of Adam is now in beta! If you supported us on Kickstarter or have pre-ordered SoA you can redeem your beta via Humble Bundle.

We are greatly appreciative for those who have shown support and given us feedback. If you haven't, you can pre-order our game today.

- Team Something Classic

Favorite game from the SNES era?

Discussion in 'Retro Hub' started by lTyl, Jan 27, 2016.

1. lTyl

lTyl Programmer for Something Classic Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hey guys,

Which game is your favorite from the SNES era? Why?

2. TylerMire

TylerMire Composer for Shadows of Adam Staff Member Admin Moderator

Platformers:
    Super Mario World - Great graphics and music. I like the multiple paths you can take to the final world. Lots of secrets. Yoshi!
    Donkey Kong Country - Fun! Great graphics/music. Challenging. Great vibe.

RPGs:
    Final Fantasy 6 - no explanation needed, simply the best.
    Final Fantasy 5 - love the job system, the light hearted-ness of the plot and the colors.
    Earthbound - Great vibe. Not the greatest game honestly, but good memories.
    Chrono Trigger - Amazing replay value, great character design. Battles are easy and FUN. Great music/sfx.
    Final Fantasy 4 - Hard but fun. Don't play this as often as Josh does :)...
    Super Mario RPG - Fun and simple. Great vibe and aesthetic.
    Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - admittedly this game is super simple, but it has amazing music and cool use of action items.

Kshaftoe likes this.
  3. josh

josh Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

I gotta say Final Fantasy 4 wins for me (see above). It just has such a satisfying pace to it and the battle system feels a lot snappier than later entries to me.

I also love the Mega Man X series, in addition to pretty much everything else Tyler said above.

Kshaftoe likes this.
  4. Kshaftoe

Kshaftoe Dradoran Soldier Kickstarter Backer

SNES era eh?

Might and Magic: Clouds of Xeen - I play this every couple years because it is so good.
    Lunar Eternal Blue - The Working Designs translation a few years later on the PS1 blows my mind.
    Lufia 2 - It is hard to pin down why this is such a great game but few argue that it is not.

I'm old so I can even go back further than that. lol

lTyl likes this.
  5. lTyl

Ah yes, I have very fond memories of Lufia 2. Fun fact, we had Lufia 2-styled dungeons in the original Game Design document for SoA. Use arrows to hit switches remotely, plant bombs to unlock certain paths, jump over chasms and so on! We had to cut those features due to resource limits sadly :<

Kshaftoe likes this.
  6. AngealZC

AngealZC Dradoran Soldier Kickstarter Backer

There are so many other SNES games that I love, but these ones are my top picks.

Zelda: A Link to the Past - My all time favorite Zelda game. I have very fond memories of playing this as a kid, and I still enjoy a run through from time to time.
    Chrono Trigger - It had a very unique battle system for the time. The concept of time travel has always been very interesting to me. I also love pretty much the entire soundtrack.
    Final Fantasy V - Being one of my first RPGs, this one had me hooked. I just enjoyed a playthrough of it on Steam about a month ago.
    Super Mario RPG - Loved every bit of this game. It was awesome seeing Mario out of the normal platforming element, and thrown into an RPG setting. I have been waiting for this to appear on the US Wii U eShop so I can play it again.

Kshaftoe and lTyl like this.
  7. Lord Tothe

Lord Tothe Dradoran Soldier Kickstarter Backer

FFVI, but I haven't yet played FFIV and cannot compare them.
    Top Gear 2
    Cool Spot

lTyl likes this.
  8. lTyl

@AngealZC & @Lord Tothe : Good choices! Funny story regarding Super Mario RPG. When I was a kid playing Super Mario RPG, I would wake-up every morning and ask myself: "I wonder if the bridge heading to the Castle has finished building!" Of course, the bridge is only 'finished' once certain events in-game have occurred. Kid me never realized that. A few weeks of this then I started complaining: "Why do they build bridges so slow?!"

9. Marak

Marak Dradoran Soldier Kickstarter Backer

Considering what a golden age the SNES era was for console gaming in general, you could list off dozens of amazing and timeless games in a variety of genres.

I'll put a fun twist on it - what was the best year in the SNES era?

The answer: 1994. Holy crap was that a ridiculous year for video games, and not just for the SNES. Wikipedia has a run down, but here are some notables as far as Nintendo releases:

* Mega Man X
    * Sanic the Hedgehog 3 (and later Sanic and Knuckles)
    * Mega Man 6
    * SUPER METROID
    * Final Fantasy VI
    * Earthworm Jim
    * Mortal Kombat 2
    * Donkey Kong Country

And that's not talking about stuff for the arcades and PC (Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Wing Commander III, TIE Fighter, Need for Speed, System Shock, Killer Instinct, Doom II, Master of Orion, WarCraft I, King's Quest VII).

Reading that list always astounds me. I mean, look at that list! Those games are all classics that either spawned a bajillion sequels (Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X), or are fondly remembered (Earthworm Jim), or are straight-up examples of the pinnacle of a genre (Final Fantasy VI, Super Metroid).

Anyway. As to the original question, trying to pick one game from the 16-bit era is a tall order, so I'll just give a short list of some of the games I had the most fun with or spent tons of time with:

[ SNES ]

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (incredibly well-done localization for the time, really cool plot twist, fun combat system)
    Final Fantasy IV and VI (what can you say about these that hasn't been said? Some the best JRPGs ever made.)
    Chrono Trigger (see above. Also, best video game OST of all time, hands down.)
    Super Metroid (I played this for like 12 hours straight the night we got it. No regrets.)
    Soulblazer (an oft forgotten Enix action-RPG, think of Zelda mashed up with the Monster Spawners from Gauntlet and town building sort of like Actraiser.)
    Paladin's Quest (another Enix game that time forgot, this one had a bizarre and unique world and an almost SaGa-style of leveling your magic that made that otherwise generic battles more interesting.)

[Genesis]

Shining in the Darkness (one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made. A game I replay constantly, I wrote and published an FAQ for it on GameFAQs.com)
    Shining Force II (even though the "Healing/Buffing for Free XP" bug hinders this game's balance, it's still one of my favorite examples of a strategy RPG.)
    Phantasy Star IV (what a way to close out a series! Looks like Phantasy Star II but improves on it in every conceivable way. Another game I play frequently and have written a guide for.)
    Landstalker: the Treasures of King Nole (Ahh, my dad and I used to play this constantly. While the isometric view and controls made for some frustrating artificial difficulty, the game still masterfully blends zelda-style combat and character advancement with some seriously evil reflex-based puzzles.)

[Sega CD]

Vay (sort of generic, but at the time the animated cutscenes and the really cool core concept - an anime mecha crashes on a fantasy RPG world - made it stand out to me.)
    Lunar: the Silver Star (great music, unique combat, and a stellar Working Designs localization all added up to a ton of time spent on this title. I still love the wonderfully cheesy voice acting in this one.)
    Dark Wizard (a really deep strategy RPG where you can customize your army in literally any way you see fit - you buy and name each unit individually, and can have dozens in any given battle. Four main characters with four different themed army load outs meant my father and I played this game for months on end.)

Edit: Great, now I have a hankering to play Lufia again. Do I still have SNES9x on this hard drive...?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    lTyl likes this.
  10. lTyl

Solid list here. I've played all of them except "Sanic the Hedgehog 3" :p

I have never played a Lunar game after all this time. I have ALWAYS wanted to sit down and play one, but can never find the time to do it :(

11. Marak

Marak Dradoran Soldier Kickstarter Backer

What's worse is that Lunar and its sequel (Eternal Blue) have two distinct versions: the Sega CD one and the PlayStation remake. The Sega CD versions have arguably better music a certain quirky charm that the PSX versions lack, but suffer from being on the Sega CD (read: load times, horrendous music looping, pitiful cutscene animation quality, extra cheesy voice work, smaller, less detailed characters and monstes). On the other hand, the PSX remakes have faster, more balanced combat, reworked scripts, far better animated cutscenes, and superior localization and voice work, but the music isn't that great (oddly enough) and they removed a LOT of the spells from the game making the combat feel repetitive at times.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. If you can't get ahold of the Sega CD version, I'd strongly recommend giving the PSX ones a go. I doubt you'll regret it, as both games are solid with fun combat and extremely memorable characters.

lTyl likes this.
  12. DigiGuineaPig

DigiGuineaPig Dradoran Soldier Kickstarter Backer

Final Fantasy 4 is my favorite Final Fantasy I think. (At least on the SNES). I've been replaying it recently and it just is fun! Also I think it's the perfect length of RPG. Not too long, not too short. It's right on the sweet spot.

Also Chrono Trigger is probably my most favorite game ever. So that's gotta be my #1 SNES game!

I'm seeing a lot of great titles in this thread, and I agree with the majority of them being great. The only reason I mention this is:
    Everyone always passes over Mystic Quest! I really like that game. I understand why some people have been knocking it lately, but I don't think it deserves the hate that it's been getting! I've had many good hours with Mystic Quest!

Everything else: Of course I'm a huge Mega Man fan, also the X series is great fun and some of my "go to games" when I'm bored and don't have anything to play. Love Castlevania! Yoshi's Island, Secret of Mana, Link to the Past are great as well. Don't forget Zombies ate my Neighbors, but admittedly I played that more on Genesis.

There are just too many great titles for SNES. Especially, when you get into the platformer genre.

lTyl likes this.
  13. lTyl

It'll be interesting to see the reception SoA gets considering how much is influenced by MQ

Solid choices!

14. LastGunman

LastGunman Villager

Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, Demon's Crest and Super Metroid.

Marak likes this.
  15. TylerMire

TylerMire Composer for Shadows of Adam Staff Member Admin Moderator

Super Ghouls'n'Ghost? Never played it, but it sounds fun :D!

16. JaJ

JaJ Villager Kickstarter Backer

Final fantasy 5 (Played through it three times now, only other game I can say that of is golden sun 2)
    Super metroid
    Chrono trigger
    Terranigma
    FF 6
    FF 4

Marak, lTyl and AngealZC like this.
  17. lTyl

Another game I thoroughly enjoyed was "ActRaiser". Lots of fun was had with that one :).

Marak likes this.